Fact: everything is better with topping! A savoury, crunchy, flavour-filled sprinkle that is. This Mole Crunch was inspired by the flavours found in mole, the complex Mexican sauce, which can contain up to 100 ingredients! This recipe is just 8, most of which you probably have on hand already and adds the essence of Mole everywhere it goes.
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- ¾ cup / 115g raw pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup / 45g cacao nibs
- ½ tsp. ground chipotle
- ¼ cup / 35g garlic flakes
- ¼ cup / 30g onion flakes
- ¼ cup / 35g flaky salt I used Maldon
- In a dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast cumin and coriander for about 2-3 mins or until fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Pulse in a food processor to grind.
- In the same skillet, toast the pumpkin seeds until fragrant and beginning to puff. Remove from heat and let cool. Add them to the food processor and pulse again to chop.
- Add the remaining ingredients: cacao nibs, chipotle, garlic and onion flakes and salt. Pulse just a few times to incorporate, being careful not to over-process – you’re looking for something loose and still a bit chunky. Taste and adjust seasoning to suit you.
- Say thank you and enjoy. Store in an airtight glass jar at room temperature for up to two months.