When I got pregnant, I knew that I had to focus more attention on my protein intake. The average pregnant woman needs at least 70g of protein a day, and as a primarily plant-based eater (with the exception of butter / ghee, occasional eggs, and goat / sheep dairy), I found this amount challenging to reach.
I came up with this easy blend to deliver a large proportion (53 grams!!!) of my RDI (recommended daily intake) of protein at breakfast, so I didn’t have to worry much about it the rest of the day. Because I was already eating a lot of legumes, nuts, seeds, and green vegetables I was confident I was able to manage the additional 20g no problem!
This smoothie is super delicious, and you can of course customize it to suit your tastes. Change the fruit up once in a while to keep things interesting and varied, and use any protein powder you like (my favourite right now is the vanilla flavour from Four Sigmatic).
If your digestion is sensitive to raw foods, it’s best to steam the peas and spinach first (which you can then freeze). The lemon juice is important here as it not only adds a ton of flavour, but helps the body absorb the iron in the spinach, which without vitamin C, is not bioavailable.
I hope you (and your little sprout!) enjoy this delicious and nourishing smoothie. And remember, you can enjoy it even if you aren’t pregnant…I still do 😉
- 1 measured scoop protein powder 24g protein
- ¼ cup / 32g hulled hemp seeds 24g protein
- ½ cup / 75g frozen peas 3.5g protein
- 1 cup / 25g fresh baby spinach 1g protein
- 1 cup / 135g frozen blueberries (or any berry of your choice) 1g protein
- freshly squeezed juice from ½ lemon
- 1 cup / 250ml water or plant-based milk 0g for water
- Combine everything in a blender on high and blend until completely smooth. Say thank you, and enjoy immediately!