Looking for a great on-the-go detox meal? These nori wraps are perfect if you know you’ll be running around town and need an easy hand-held way of fueling! Sea vegetables like nori are loaded with minerals, vitamins A and C. The unique nutrients in broccoli aid both Phase I and Phase II detoxification, and its high fiber content helps pull impurities out of the digestive tract.
The Cleansing Broccoli Pesto is a delicious and creative way to eat more of this detoxifying cruciferous veggie, but I will warn that the pesto does not keep very well – two days maximum, and it is definitely best eaten fresh. You can fill the wraps with any fresh seasonal vegetables and sprouts that you like. Get creative and enjoy a number of variations!
Nori Wraps with Cleansing Broccoli Pesto
- 6-8 sheets high-quality nori
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 carrots or half a sweet potato julienned
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- a few handfuls sprouts of choice
- 1 batch Cleansing Broccoli Pesto
Cleansing Broccoli Pesto
- 1 medium head / 300g broccoli chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup / 35g almonds lightly roasted
- 1 small lemon zest and juice
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil to taste
- a couple pinches sea salt
- 1 cup / 25g chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems only
- 1 Tbsp. wheatgrass powder optional
- water to thin as needed
- Pulse garlic in a food processor until finely minced. Add almonds and pulse to chop.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until you’ve reached the desired consistency: I like mine rather chunky, but you may want to continue blending until you have something smoother (add water as necessary).
- Place one sheet of nori on a sushi rolling mat. Spread pesto in a strip along the center of the nori, then place slices of vegetables and sprouts in a row along same line. Take one end of the nori and roll around the filling ingredients, using the mat as an aid. Once rolled, slice in half and enjoy.