Ohhh baby these treats are something else! So rich and flavourful, so moist and chewy, so filling and delicious that you may want to make a double batch. To keep with the early summer fennel theme, I added fennel seeds to these blondies, and the way they complement the strawberries is mind-blowing! I can’t wait for you to try them as a breakfast, afternoon snack, or dessert.
You can make these treats vegan by swapping out eggs and replacing them with 2 flax eggs (each egg: 1 Tbsp. ground flax + 2.5 Tbsp. water), but the texture will be slightly different. Still delicious, just not as fluffy 🙂
Strawberry Fennel Blondies
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted nut butter I used almond-hazelnut
- ¾ cup / 100g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. fine grain sea salt
- ½ Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 6 oz / 175g fresh strawberries local if possible
- a pinch flaky sea salt such as Maldon
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C.
- Slice strawberries in half, removing their tops.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs and vanilla extract together. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, combine coconut sugar, baking soda, salt, and fennel seeds. Measure out the nut butter and place in a large bowl. Add the egg mixture, stir thoroughly to combine. Add the coconut sugar mixture and fold together. The dough will be very thick.
- Press the dough into a lightly-greased 8" / 20cm square pan. Press the strawberries in to the top. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the blondies are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan completely before cutting.