Want to start your mornings on a high? Try this luscious, creamy and satisfying cup of pure energy! The double dose of cacao gives our bodies a blast of theobromine, improving cognitive function, motivation, and even mood. And the magnesium is just perfect for supporting premenstrual and menstruating folks.
I used roasted hazelnut butter for the creamy base, but you can use any nut or seed butter. And if you don’t have ceremonial cacao (I get mine here), you can substitute it with high-quality dark chocolate, and choose one whose cocoa solids are 80% or more.
Dial the spices up or down to suit your taste, as well as the sweetness. Feel free to use raw honey instead of maple syrup.
Make a triple batch and store leftovers in the fridge for the next couple of days. Simply reheat gently on the stove, or in a milk warmer.
Spiced Hazelnut Hot Cacao
- 1 cup / 250ml filtered water recently boiled
- 2 Tbsp. hazelnut butter sub with any nut or seed butter
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup to taste
- 1 Tbsp. cacao powder
- 30 g / 1oz. ceremonial cacao or dark chocolate 80% or higher
- pinch each salt cinnamon, cayenne, cardamom, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until completely smooth, about 30 seconds. Taste and adjust the spice / sweetness to your liking. Serve hot. Say thank you and enjoy.