Question: What do you get when you combine spanakopita and polenta?! Spanakolenta
These Spanakolenta Brekkie Bites are a savoury breakfast lovers dream come true. They’re packed with all the flavours of spanakopita – spinach, feta, dill – all wrapped in a neat little quick-cooking polenta package, that you can heat and eat, or grab and go!
I made these with biodynamic ingredients from Solspring, my go-to for the most delicious and Earth-conscious ingredients!
Spanakolenta Brekkie Bites
- 1 Tbsp. Solspring olive oil plus more for greasing
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 300 g / 11 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 4 eggs organic if possible, or chia / flax "eggs"
- 1 cup / 250ml milk of choice plant-based or dairy
- 1 cup / 250ml water
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup / 18g chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup / 100g sheep’s milk feta or vegan feta crumbled
- 1 cup / 175g Solspring instant polenta
- Lightly grease a muffin tin and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In your largest skillet over medium heat, warm the oil, then add the onions and ¼ teaspoon of the salt, stir well to coat. Cook the onions until they are starting to caramelize, about 7-10 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Turn the heat to low, then add the spinach, one handful at a time, plus ¼ teaspoon of salt, folding in as you go. Place a lid on the pan and cook for 2-4 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, water, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add the dill, spinach and onion mixture, and feta. Stir very well to combine.
- Slowly pour the polenta into the wet mixture, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin forms. Place in the oven and bake until golden around the edges, and staring to brown on top, about 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick – if it comes out clean, the bites are ready.
- Let cool slightly, then remove from muffin tin (it may help to cut around the edges first. You can also use muffin liners). Enjoy warm, at room temperature or cold. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.