Gravy was one of my favourite foods growing up, and we only really enjoyed it during the holidays, which made it so special. I can remember building mashed potato volcanoes with the gravy oozing out of the top, pouring onto the other foods on my plate, coating everything with thick, salty, glossy deliciousness.
My version doesn’t require pan drippings, and can easily be made vegan, but I’m loving using chicken bone broth as the base for this, since incorporating some animal products into my diet. You do you!
If you can’t find fresh shiitake mushrooms, you can sub them with any fresh mushroom you like, by weight.
As far as the miso goes, use whatever colour you have on hand. Remember that lighter miso will be sweet and mild, and darker miso will lend deep umami richness. Want to know more about miso? Watch this interview!
This can be made up to four days ahead and stored in the fridge. Simply reheat gently on the stove before serving with Mashed Potatoes with Sauerkraut – just a suggestion 😉
Shiitake Miso Gravy
- 2 cups / 500ml broth of choice
- 2 Tbsp. miso
- 4 Tbsp. butter ghee, or vegan butter
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 shallots sliced
- ½ Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- ½ Tbsp. fresh rosemary minced
- 100 g fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 3 Tbsp. tapioca flour
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper to taste
- Warm the broth on the stove in a separate saucepan, until just barely simmering. Stir in the miso until dissolved, remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, then add the garlic and shallots, cook for 5 minutes until fragrant. Add the herbs and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are golden and nicely seared in places, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat the mushrooms. Let cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add the broth and bring to a simmer. Let cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes until thickened and glossy.
- Season with black pepper and salt, taste and adjust seasoning to suit you. Serve immediately. Say thank you and enjoy.