Don’t let the idea of raw sweet potato throw you, this salad is crispy, crunchy, sweet and savoury, and everything I love in a salad. It’s full of texture, flavour, and substance and it a great thing to have for lunch alongside the Spicy Cream of Green Soup, another recipe in the BMS Renew menu.
Raw Sweet Potato and Celery Salad
- 1 large sweet potato 350g / 12oz
- 1 tsp. sea salt on potatoes
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 apple
- juice of 1 lemon divided
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger minced
- 1 Tbsp. cold-pressed olive oil
- ¼ cup / 30g sesame seeds
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- Scrub the sweet potato well and julienne / slice into thin matchsticks. Sprinkle with the salt and massage in until the sweet potatoes are starting to soften and wilt. Set aside.
- Julienne the apple and pour the juice of 1/2 a lemon over top, and stir well to coat, set aside for five minutes to marinate.
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Wash and chop the cilantro.
- Whisk together the remaining lemon juice, olive oil, and ginger.
- Slice the celery and add it to the sweet potatoes, along with the apples, and dressing. Fold in the cilantro and sesame.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Say thank you and enjoy! Leftovers will keep for two days in the fridge, and up to five + days if you wait to add the cilantro right before serving.