This creamy soup gets it’s luxurious texture from tahini and its flavour from the greens, herbs, spices, and citrus layered in to make a perfectly balanced and delicious soup!
Spicy Cream of Greens Soup
- 1 Tbsp. expeller-pressed coconut oil
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1 tsp. fine salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chunk ginger minced
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1 small bunch kale any variety, stems removed and chopped
- 1 medium head broccoli chopped
- 4 cups / 1 liter water sub with broth of choice
- 2 Tbsp. tahini plus more for garnish, if desired
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ bunch parsley roughly chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro roughly chopped
- toasted sesame for garnish if desired
- Melt oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt, stir to coat and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened. Add the garlic, and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add ginger, cayenne, celery, kale, broccoli, and stir well to coat. Add water or broth, bring to a simmer and let cook for 4-5 minutes until the broccoli has softened. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Transfer soup contents to a blender and add the tahini and lime juice. Blend on high until completely smooth, then add the parsley and cilantro, blend again. Add additional water or broth to thin, if desired. Season to taste.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of tahini and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Garnish with cilantro. Say thank you and enjoy. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to five days; freezes well.