This is one of the simplest and fastest-to-make desserts, ever! It’s creamy, crispy, it’s got that cold-and-warm contrast thing going on, and I love the combination of sweet ice cream melting into the grassy and bitter matcha tea. If you’re a matcha latte kinda person, oooh this is the treat for YOU!
The Almond-Nib Crunchies can be made ahead of time (they store for weeks sealed at room temperature), so perhaps you might want to make a double batch to have them on hand for many desserts to come, made on the fly, because the rest is just assembly. Thees are also a tasty little snack when you need a sweet bite. That said, go generous on the salt with these, since it provides a much-needed extra note when enjoyed with the matcha and ice cream. My favourite is and will always be… Cosmic Bliss which has both plant-based favourites and their new regenerative / organic dairy line!
Matcha Affogato with Almond-Nib Crunchies
- 1 tsp. matcha
- 1 cup recently-boiled water 175°F / 80°C is ideal
- vanilla ice cream Try Cosmic Bliss!
- 2 Tbsp. slivered almonds
- 1 Tbsp. cacao nibs
- generous pinch flaky salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the slivered almonds for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown (careful, they burn easily!).
- Turn off the heat, add the cacao nibs, and stir. Let the cacao nibs warm from the pan’s residual heat for a couple minutes, stirring once or twice (the nibs should release their fragrance). Sprinkle in the flaky salt, then add the maple syrup. The pan should still be hot enough for the maple syrup to bubble – if it doesn’t turn on the heat until it does. Give the whole mix and good stir together, then leave it alone. The remaining water will boil off the syrup and when the bubbles subside, transfer the mix to a a parchment-lined plate, spread it out in an even-ish layer, and place in the fridge. Let set for at least 15 minutes.
- Make the matcha by whisking together sifted matcha and hot water. Set aside.
- Scoop your desired amount of ice cream into four glasses or small bowls. Pour ¼ cup / 60ml of matcha over each ice cream, then top with the Almond-Nib Crunchies. Say thank you and enjoy immediately.