One of my favourite ways to eat dark, leafy greens! Massaging breaks down their rough and tough nature yielding silky and soft ribbons that last in the fridge for days. They are then ready to be folded, sprinkled, or layered into all your meals.
To access the videos and podcasts, please upgrade your membership
This is a loose and flexible recipe – think of it as more of a technique. Ratios and scale will depend on your greens and your preferences so make sure to taste as you go! Always start with less and add more.
- 1-2 bunches kale any variety
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil, cold-pressed
- 1 generous pinch flaky sea salt
- juice of ½ lemon
- Remove the ribs from the kale, add to bowl or salad spinner and wash with cool water, drain and spin dry.
- Cut kale into long ribbons, rolling many leaves together and cutting into ½" thick strips. Add to a large bowl.
- Add freshly-squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, and salt to the kale. Massage the greens with your hands until tender and they start to release some of their juice. Should be about 3-5 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning / flavor as necessary.