The outpouring of support has been incredible as I’ve shared my story and journey of healing, and the requests to show how I intentionally, consciously, and thoughtfully choose, prepare, and eat occasional animal products are many… so here goes, you’re invited to join me in the kitchen, connecting to my local ecosystem.
This beautiful chicken, born and raised mere miles from my home, at Evermeadow Farm nourishes me on a level I didn’t know was possible. Whether you enjoy animal products or not, the incredible service conscious farmers offer to our communities, environment, and world is magnificent and I am filled with gratitude to share this cooking video with you.
Never did I ever think I’d see the day that a chicken would show up here in the My New Roots universe, but may this be an example and permission to you too to pursue the deepest and most nourished health you can for your body and life – what a privilege it is. I welcome you into my kitchen for this sacred, ancient practice of cooking, eating, and sharing local food with those you love.
To access the videos and podcasts, please upgrade your membership
- 1 3-5 lb, whole chicken, thawed locally sourced, pastured if possible
- 2 small lemons
- 4-6 medium yellow onions, sliced into thin wedges
- 3-5 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
- 1 ½ Tbsp. fine grain sea salt
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- other veggies like leeks, sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, etc., optional watch the roasted veggie video here on Grow!
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Begin by preparing your onions and any garlic and add to a roasting dish. Prepare any other veggies you wish to roast as well!
- Prepare the lemons by cutting slits into the skin but preserving the shape of the lemon.
- Mix the salt and pepper together, cover the chicken thoroughly using all of the salt and pepper mixture, inside and out of the chicken. Be mindful when coming into contact with the chicken and make sure to wash your hands before touching anything else after handling the bird.
- Add both lemons to the seasoned cavity of the chicken.
- Nestle the chicken breast-side down atop the onions and garlic, and roast for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins, flip the chicken so that she's breast-side up. Put back in the oven and roast for another 30 mins.
- After these 60 mins, with the chicken still in the oven, increase the oven temperature to 400°F and set a timer for 20 mins.
- Once complete, check the skin for a nice golden brown color, and check the temperature for doneness. 165°F on a meat thermometer or clear juice from the dark meat signals a perfectly-cooked chicken! If you'd like more color, continue cooking the chicken at 400°F, or place under the broiler for a few minutes – keep a watchful eye!
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest for 10-20 mins.
- Squeeze the lemons over and around the chicken and spoon the juices over the bird and the veggies, too. Carved the chicken and return the pieces to the juice. Return to the oven to keep warm, or serve immediately.