There is something so comforting about a warm bowl of miso soup, even in the early summer time. On cooler mornings or evenings, this is the perfect way to utilize the building blocks you’ve made to create something simple and nourishing in under 5 minutes. Top with a few slices of pickled chard stems for added tang and texture.
Early Summer Miso Soup
- 3 cups / 750ml water
- 3 Tbsp. white or yellow miso
- 6-8 spears roasted asparagus
- ⅓ cup / 85g caramelized onions and Swiss chard
- ½ cup / 100g cooked freekeh
- 1 spring onion white part only, thinly sliced
- Slice asparagus on the diagonal, into bite-sized pieces. Measure out caramelized onion and Swiss chard mixture, and freekeh.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce to simmer. Remove about a ¼ cup / 60ml of water and place in a small bowl or cup. Stir in the miso paste until dissolved. Add this mixture back into the pot, along with the caramelized onion and Swiss chard mixture, freekeh and spring onion. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Say thank you and enjoy.