This soup named itself! I think it’s because of the spiced savouriness that draws people in, to come together around a steaming bowl of nourishment. Or it could be that this comes together so darn fast, considering that nearly all of the elements are already prepared! Either way, it’s delicious and easy to make. I hope it becomes a weeknight staple in your busy life!
Come Together Soup
- 1 Tbsp. expeller pressed coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 fat cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. crushed chili flakes
- 3-4 cups / 750m-1L water optional: use reserved steaming water from cooking butternut squash
- 3 cups / 750ml butternut squash puree
- 1 ½ cups / 250g cooked pinto beans
- 2 ears of steamed corn
- juice of half lime
- ½ Tbsp. cacao powder
- In a large stockpot over medium heat melt the oil. Add the onion and salt, stir to combine. Cook until the onions have softened and browned slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for two minutes until fragrant. Then add the cumin, coriander, oregano, pepper flakes. Stir to well combine, cook about a minute. Add a splash of water if the pot dries out.
- Add the water and squash puree, whisk to incorporate completely.
- Add the beans and the corn, heat through.
- Remove from heat, stir in lime juice and cacao powder. Season to taste.
- Say thank you and enjoy with cilantro and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Store in the fridge for up to five days. When reheating, add water to thin.