This granola is the kind of thing that you can eat right out of the jar by the handful, and it’s saved me on all the afternoons when I needed something filling and indulgent-tasting when my energy was waning. You can eat this stuff for breakfast, mid-morning, midday, afternoon, early evening, late at night… I guess it’s easier for me to say you can eat this any time of day…
For more about this granola and about my love for buckwheat, check out the full blog post!
Chunky Chocolate Buckwheat Granola
- 3 cups / 300g rolled oats gluten-free if necessary
- 1 cup / 200g buckwheat
- 1 ½ cups / 65g coconut flakes
- 1 cup /125g hazelnuts walnuts are also delicious
- ¼ cup / 30g chia seeds
- ½ tsp. fine grain sea salt
- ¼ cup / 35g coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder organic, fair-trade if possible
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
- In a large bowl combine oats, buckwheat, coconut flakes, chia seeds and coconut sugar. Roughly chop hazelnuts and add them to the mix.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add honey or maple syrup, vanilla, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry and fold coat.
- Spread mixture out in an even layer on a lined baking sheet and press firmly with the back of a spatula to ensure that the mixture is compact. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip granola in large chunks, and place back in oven to bake for another 10 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes until toasted and fragrant. The dark colour of the granola makes it hard to tell if it is cooked or not, so go by smell. Another good way to test it is by tasting a hazelnut, which takes the longest to cook – it should taste nutty and pleasantly roasted.
Makes 8 cups