These beautifully-spiced pickles are a fresh take on one of my favourite ways to add brightness and acidity to any meal. Perfect all year long but so nice in the winter months (especially in the Winter Rollover Menu) when fresh and zesty foods are few and far between!
Star Anise Ginger-Pickled Carrots
- 10 oz / 300g mixed carrots + daikon
- 1 cup / 250ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup / 250ml water or more if needed
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- ½ Tbsp. fine grain sea salt
- small knob of ginger about 10g, peeled and sliced
- 2 star anise
- Scrub carrots well. Using a vegetable peeler, slice the carrots lengthwise into long, thing ribbons. Place into a 1-quart / 1 liter glass container.
- In a measuring cup combine the vinegar, water, maple syrup, salt and ginger, and stir to dissolve the salt. Pour over the carrots and top up with more water as needed to cover them completely. Place in the fridge for 24 hours and enjoy the next day.