Another Sarah B stew for you! They never get old and seem to be what I make the most often because of their quick prep, leftover potential, veggie-packed goodness, and opportunity for new spice blends and creativity. Feeling a little brighter? Spicier? Herbier? Let you tastebuds guide you and remember just because you may be intentionally working to restore your body’s balance and vibrancy, it’s a requirement to make the process delicious!
Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew
- 2 Tbsp. coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 diced large onion
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 2 peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils, soaked overnight
- 6 cups Cleansing Broth, or other broth of your choice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Soak lentils in filtered water overnight.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook cumin, turmeric and curry powder until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion with a few pinches salt, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and bell pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Add lentils and cleansing broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro before serving.