It’s porridge season! So here’s a very simple and delicious compote to put on your warm breakfasts as we head into the cold months. If you’re lucky enough to have some peak-summer produce in your freezer, use that or whatever is in season near you to make something warm and soothing. Enjoy!
Peach Rhubarb Compote
- 6-7 stalks rhubarb fresh or frozen
- 6 peaches fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. water
- pinch salt
- pinch cardamom if desired
- Roughly chop the rhubarb and peaches into chunks.
- Combine the maple syrup and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add the fruit, salt and cardamom (if using) and stir well to combine. Cover with a lid, reduce to simmer, and cook for about 5 minutes. Give the pot a stir and see how much the fruit has broken down – if it needs more time to soften, pop the lid back on and simmer for another few minutes.
- The compote is ready when the fruit is very soft. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Say thank you and enjoy over pancakes, waffles, porridge, toast, etc. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to one week.