As with most banana bread, I suppose there’s really nothing exceptional about the ingredients, but the final product is so much more than the sum of its parts. Not too sweet, delectably moist, and rich despite its whole food ingredients. This vegan version is the recipe I make time and time again in my house when I’m craving a thick slice of something comforting, delicious, and nutritious!
Sweet memories of mentors and my time in holistic nutrition school, this recipe from Enlightened Eating by Caroline Dupont brings me back time and time again to the many people I’ve shared it with and places I’ve enjoyed it. I hope you make your own memories with this recipe too!
To access the videos and podcasts, please upgrade your membership
Coziest Banana Bread
- ¼ cup plant milk of your choice oat, cashew, almond, hemp, rice…
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil butter, ghee, expeller-pressed coconut oil
- 6 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups mashed ripe bananas approximately 5 medium bananas
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts + seeds I used walnuts, pecans, and pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup / 100g chopped dark chocolate
- flaky sea salt for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line an 8” x 8” cake pan or loaf pan with baking paper, or lightly oil and dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- Put the milk, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and bananas in a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. Add banana mixture and combine using as few strokes as possible. Fold in nuts and chocolate.
- Pour into a cake pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with flaky salt (if using). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean and is very dark, dark brown. The time varies greatly according to oven, ingredients, and location – mine takes about any where between 45 mins and 2 hours. Check at 45 mins and then regularly after that. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!