This simple technique is well worth it! With a small time investment this major cooking hack will immeasurably improve the taste of your food, and well, your life!
- 2 Tbsp. neutral-tasting coconut oil or ghee
- 1 lb. / 500g yellow onions
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- Peel the onions and slice them as evenly as possible into half-rounds.
- Melt coconut oil or ghee over medium heat in the largest skillet you have. Add the onions, then salt, and stir well to coat. Once the onions are coated, turn the heat down to a medium-low, stirring occasionally (stir more often towards the end) until they've fully caramelized, about 25-30 minutes. If the pot becomes too dry during cooking, reduce the heat a tad, or add a teeny bit of water and stir well.
- The onions are done when they are soft, silky, translucent, and golden brown!
Makes about 1 cup / 250 ml